Tamworth Correctional Centre
Tamworth Correctional Centre is a medium security facility for male offenders located in the Northern Tablelands, 397km north of Sydney. It serves as a reception correctional centre for Tamworth and surrounding districts.
Fax: (02) 6766 4851
Cnr Dean and Johnston Street
Tamworth NSW 2340
PO Box 537
Tamworth NSW 2340
Train services are available daily into Tamworth from various locations.
The centre is located on the corner of Dean and Johnston Streets. Car parking is available via the Johnston Street entrance.
Bookings are essential for all visits.
Visits must be booked by phoning the Visits Booking Line -
(02) 6764 5360, Monday to Friday: 9 - 11:30am.
Before travelling for a visit, please call the correctional centre to confirm visit and visiting time.
Saturdays and Sundays:
- 9 - 11am
- 1 - 3pm
Visitors must arrive at the centre at least 30 minutes before the start of their visit.
Legal practitioners may visit seven days between 9.30am and 3pm. Notification of intention to visit must be given by faxing (02 6766-4851) details of the visit to the centre 24 hours prior.
The visits area is a family environment. You must dress appropriately. This generally means clothes must be respectable and not too provocative.
You cannot wear anything that hides your face, except for religious reasons. In that case you will be asked to remove your face covering temporarily so staff can verify your identity.
Inappropriate dress (PDF , 1.2 MB) includes:
- Clothes that have possibly controversial logos, words or slogans such as:
- Motorcycle gang 'colours' or gang insignias
- Logos or symbols associated with drugs or drug paraphernalia or swear words
- Tight or revealing clothing including:
- Tops and dresses that expose the stomach or chest
- Swimsuits or skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh
- Mesh or other "see-through" clothes
- Clothes that are excessively dirty, ripped or frayed
- Heels higher than 5 centimetres
- Any jewellery other than a plain wedding band, sleepers and studs. This means no engagement ring or any other ring with stones, and no bracelets or necklaces
- Tops or jumpers with a hood
- Hats, scarves or head coverings (excluding religious wear)
- Hair scrunchies or clips. Only single elasticated hair ties are allowed
- Watches, smart watches or activity trackers
- Bare feet.
Visitors may be asked to leave on a first come, first leave basis to make room for new visitors.
Before travelling, visitors should book accommodation which is available in the city.
Visitors need to produce two primary forms of identification or one primary form and two secondary forms of identification.
25 Nov 2020