Metropolitan Remand & Reception Centre (MRRC at Silverwater)
The Metropolitan Remand and Reception Centre (MRRC) is a maximum-security correctional facility for male offenders.
The MRRC is one of 3 correctional facilities that make up the Silverwater Correctional Complex also located on site are Silverwater Women's and Dawn De Loas correctional centres.
Inmates who arrive at the MRRC:
- Come directly from court on remand
- Are staying at the MRRC while they attend court in the Sydney metropolitan area (before returning to their home centre)
- Are staying at the MRRC while they wait for a vacancy at a centre that matches their classification.
Most inmates at the MRRC leave the centre within a few months of their arrival. Usually this occurs because they obtain bail (and release) or because they transfer to a centre that matches their classification.
Fax admin: (02) 9289 5929
Fax Manager of Security: (02) 9289 5612
(nearest cross street is Newington Rd and Jamieson St)
Silverwater NSW 2128
Metropolitan Remand & Reception Centre Private Bag 144
Silverwater NSW 1811
How to Get There
The bus stop closest to the centre is located on Holker St (near Avenue of Africa) in Silverwater.
If you are travelling via private transport, please note that visitor parking is very limited. Allow plenty of additional time to find parking.
Bookings for video and in-person visits are required and can be made by phone.
To make a visit booking, please call the visits booking line on (02) 9289 5200 everyday between 7:00am and 3:00pm.
Before travelling for a visit, please call the correctional centre to confirm the visit.
New COVID-safety measures apply to in-person visits, make sure you know the rules before you book.
In-person visit times
In person visits take place Monday to Sunday
- 8.00am to 8.30am
- 9.00am to 9.30am
- 12.00pm to 12.30pm
- 1.00pm to 1.30pm
We recommend attending the Centre at least 30 minutes prior to your in-person visit to allow for processing.
Video visit times
Video visits take place Monday to Sunday
- 8.00am to 8.45am
- 9.00am to 9.45am
- 12.00pm to 12.45pm
- 1.00pm to 1.45pm
Please refer to the Video Visits page for more detailed information.
Legal practitioners and professional visitors must book all in-person and audiovisual visits. To make a booking, please send your request to MRRClegal@justice.nsw.gov.au at least 24 hours' prior to your intended visit time.
Visits last for 30 minutes and will take place at the following times:
- In-person visits: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm
- In-person visits: Weekends and public holidays: 8:30am - 3pm
- Professional Audio Visual Link visits: Monday - Friday (including Mandatory Case Conferences): 8:00am - 6.00pm
Confirming a legal/professional visit
You will receive an email or SMS text that confirms your booking and visiting time. For legal visits, please call the centre on (02) 9289 5600 on the morning of your visit to ensure the centre is still able to facilitate the legal visit.
The visits area is a family environment. You must dress appropriately. This generally means clothes must be respectable and not too provocative.
You cannot wear anything that hides your face, except for religious reasons. In that case you will be asked to remove your face covering temporarily so staff can verify your identity.
Inappropriate dress (PDF , 419.0 KB) includes:
- Clothes that have possibly controversial logos, words or slogans such as:
- Motorcycle gang 'colours' or gang insignias
- Logos or symbols associated with drugs or drug paraphernalia or swear words
- Tight or revealing clothing including:
- Tops and dresses that expose the stomach or chest
- Swimsuits or skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh
- Mesh or other "see-through" clothes
- Clothes that are excessively dirty, ripped or frayed
- Heels higher than 5 centimetres
- Any jewellery other than a plain wedding band, sleepers and studs. This means no engagement ring or any other ring with stones, and no bracelets or necklaces
- Tops or jumpers with a hood
- Hats, scarves or head coverings (excluding religious wear)
- Hair scrunchies or clips. Only single elasticated hair ties are allowed
- Watches, smart watches or activity trackers
- Bare feet.
13 Apr 2021