Long Bay Hospital
Long Bay Hospital is located on the Long Bay Correctional Complex. The complex is located 14km south of Sydney's central business district. The complex houses the:
Long Bay Hospital a maximum-security facility for medical and psychiatric cases, as well as remanded inmates.
Also located on the Long Bay Complex is the Metropolitan Special Programs Centre (MSPC).
Phone: (02) 8304 2000
1300 Anzac Parade
Matraville NSW 2036
PO Box 13
Matraville NSW 2036
How to Get There
The complex is accessible by public transport, the nearest railway station is Central and buses run regularly to and from the complex.
The Long Bay Complex is situated on Anzac Parade about 3Km south of Maroubra. There is limited parking at the complex.
Long Bay Hospital Areas 1 and 2
Hospital Area 1
Hospital Area 1 houses inmates of various security levels, including maximum-security inmates in more than four areas. One ward is dedicated to medical patients and three others are for short and long-term psychiatric patients. Corrective Services NSW and the NSW Department of Health manage Long Bay Hospital 1 together.
Hospital Area 2
Hospital Area 2 is a maximum to minimum-security facility. Long Bay Hospital 2 houses inmates from across the state who come to Sydney for specialist medical treatment or assessment as well as inmates on remand.
Bookings are required for in-person and video visits.
To make a booking to visit at inmate in Hospital Area 1 or 2, please call (02) 9289 2010 Tuesday to Thursday between 8:00am and 12:00pm.
Visitors from overseas can book video visits via email: LBHVisits@justice.nsw.gov.au
Before travelling for a visit, please call the correctional centre to confirm your visit and visiting time.
New COVID-safety measures apply to in-person visits, ensure you know the rules to avoid missing out.
In-person visit times
In-person visits take place on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Public Holidays between:
- 8:00am and 10:00am
- 11:30 and 1:30pm
Video visit times
Contact the visits booking line for specific times.
Legal practitioners may visit between 8am and 3pm, seven days a week. All legal visits must be booked in advance. Please provide notification of your intention to visit at least 24 hours in advance by emailing a letter of introduction to LBHLegals@justice.nsw.gov.au. The Function Manager Security is the approving officer.
Conditions of entry
Appropriate dress standards
The visits area is a family environment. You must dress appropriately. This generally means clothes must be respectable and not too provocative.
You cannot wear anything that hides your face, except for religious reasons. In that case you will be asked to remove your face covering temporarily so staff can verify your identity.
Inappropriate dress (PDF , 419.0 KB) (PDF , 419.0 KB) includes:
- Clothes that have possibly controversial logos, words or slogans such as:
- Motorcycle gang 'colours' or gang insignias
- Logos or symbols associated with drugs or drug paraphernalia o Swear words
- Tight or revealing clothing including:
- Tops and dresses that expose the stomach or chest
- Swimsuits o Skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh
- Mesh or other "see-through" clothes
- Clothes that are excessively dirty, ripped or frayed
- Heels higher than 5 centimetres
- Any jewellery other than a plain wedding band, sleepers and studs. This means no engagement ring or any other ring with stones, and no bracelets or necklaces
- Tops or jumpers with a hood
- Hats, scarves or head coverings (excluding religious wear)
- Hair scrunchies or clips. Only single elasticated hair ties are allowed
- Watches, smart watches or activity trackers
- Bare feet.
27 Jan 2021