Temporary capacity projects
In order to meet a spike in demand, between 2016 and 2018 we:
- increased capacity at a number of prisons by adding beds to existing cells
- refurbished and reopened former prisons at Berrima and Unanderra.
These projects ensured that inmates could be safely and securely housed while longer-term accommodation was built. In September 2019 the NSW Government announced that this temporary capacity would be progressively withdrawn. Over the next two years, we will:
- retire Berrima Correctional Centre and the Illawarra Reintegration Centre at Unanderra in early 2020
- increase the number of single-person cells across the network
- retire Brewarrina, Ivanhoe and Grafton correctional centres in mid 2020.
This decision reflects our responsibility to use new infrastructure to improve safety and security for staff and inmates.
CSNSW is working with staff and the Public Service Association to manage the impact of these changes on our people.
Berrima Correctional Centre is a State-significant historic site. We want to ensure it is protected and accessible for future generations. In the months ahead, we will discuss potential uses for the site with Wingecarribee Shire Council and other stakeholders.
Similarly we will work with Wollongong City Council to determine the future use of the Illawarra Reintegration Centre. We welcome suggestions from the community on alternative uses for the site.
02 Dec 2020