Parklea Correctional Centre upgrade
As part of its commitment to Better Prisons, the NSW Government has upgraded the Parklea Correctional Centre to provide extra accommodation for male inmates.
The work at Parklea Correctional Centre was divided into two components:
- 150-bed minimum-security facility for male inmates – known as Area 4
- 500-bed maximum-security facility for male inmates – known as Area 5
On Monday 27 November 2017 Parklea Correctional Centre Area 4 was officially opened. The facility includes three 50-bed accommodation buildings, a visits building, support services building, shade structures, playing fields and landscaping.
On Wednesday 11 March 2020 Area 5 was officially opened by the Hon. Anthony Roberts MP, Minister for Counter Terrorism and Corrections. In addition to 500 new maximum-security beds, this project included a clinic, AVL building, programs and industries building, recreational areas, refurbishment to the gatehouse and a new visits area.
This infrastructure adds to Corrective Services NSW’s capacity to accommodate inmates in the Sydney metropolitan area. It also supports an external leave program to re-integrate offenders in custody back into the community through work and educational opportunities.
- Better Prisons update, July 2019 (PDF , 199.4 KB) (200 KB PDF)
- Information for visitors to Parklea Correctional Centre
- Review of environmental factors
- Seen a snake?
02 Dec 2020